Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

For Real News ....
Nice info drop
"Flesh and Blood": Harry Potter and Country Mystics
Get a taste of John Granger
I Saw the Grimm (Brothers)
D&D in HP
Silver and Gold: Metal and Meaning in HP
Recommendations
Speaking of books...
I Miss Richard Harris


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Friday, October 07, 2005

Howling Rowling (I love the characters she creates)

I love the breadth of characters Rowling creates, especially the virtuous ones.
My particular favorite in HBP has to be Phlegm (sorry, Fleur).
I was rolling on the floor at the "I am good looking enough for both of us, I theenk" line. Not because I think she looks ridiculous, but because she is so herself and at the same time so virtuous.

I also love characters like Luna and the fact that Harry appreciates her as a friend. They have this connection. Harry knows she's a little off-kilter and I think she knows it too... but that does not keep her from being virtuous or having some kind of a connection with Harry.

I think Rowling has a lot of sympathy as a writer and is very good at drawing her characters in a wide spectrum. I think this is important ... I think a good story must have not only depth (as she does in her symbolism) but that depth must have a breadth, a wideness that fits the variety of the human experience and world in which we all attempt to live the virtues found in the deep symbols she uses.
posted by Merlin at 6:05 PM


Comments on "Howling Rowling (I love the characters she creates)"

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (October 08, 2005 10:29 AM) : 

If Johnny Canuck really had read the blog entry, he would have written "Now you've got me theenking. Yeah, like I'm really going to move to Canada...

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (October 08, 2005 10:36 AM) : 

It's funny to me that although Luna is part of this wonderful world of magic where fantastic events continually occur that she has to come up with conspiracies and beliefs in ludicrous creatures. This I take as kind of a commentary on those in our plane of existence - which contains its own strange wonders - that waste their time and energy on the same types of incredible, untestable theories.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (October 08, 2005 4:26 PM) : 

I checked Canuck's profile (how much more obvious can you get than a derogatory slang, do they really expect people like us not to say "stupid canucks"?)
No blog
I figure they must have a progam or something where they generate a blogger profile and then set the program running surfing the blogosphere and dropping that canned comment.

With this stuff and the spam stuff, I always wonder ... does this stuff actually work (I mean, even as a "profitable" adervtizing campaign)?

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (October 08, 2005 4:32 PM) : 

I take Luna as a ""grain of salt" type character. Like Harry, you have to love her because she's so off the wall and you know it probably has something to do with her dad being editor of the Quibler and all ... but it is her you love - no her theories (although you can get a good laugh at setting her loose at Slugo's party) - those you take with maybe a whole shaker full of salt

To take what she says seriously would be a waste of yoru time to the level of tragedy ... I think the thing with Luna is that, fortunately, what she actually does in the world is larger than the theories she obsesses about consciously

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (October 09, 2005 8:56 PM) : 

On the "blog-bot" subject: it seems like they only attack the first entry in a blog, that's been my experience.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (January 05, 2006 4:25 AM) : 

i think her theories are going to end up being more like the truth than the 'daily prophet' with all it's cencorship and political bias.

a bit like in 'men in black' where they check the conspiracy papers to find out what's REALLY happening.

jkr
(in australia)

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 05, 2006 6:03 AM) : 

JKR, I like that theory on Luna's predictions

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 05, 2006 6:06 AM) : 

And I LOVED MIB ... MIB II was all right, I enjoyed it mainly out of my love for the first one

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!