Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Harry a Horcrux?
Movies
Ramblings on the Four Basic Elements
Inside joke
Raiders of the Lost CD
Introducing Avada Kedavra
Snapshot of Snape
On the Road to Adventure
Merlin's new adventure
Is Harry a Horcrux?


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Musical Interlude

Well, it is raining profusely on a Monday and I am off work and studying for the GRE, so I thought I would pop in briefly and write a post on musical interests.

The first is a random incident as far as concerns things "mythopoeic" - simply that a friend of mine was in town (Pittsburgh) over the weekend to see U2, a fact for which I am very jealous of him (tickets sold out in 4 hours when they went on sale last May). He said it was an amazing show ... I guess they are closing their shows now with "Yahweh" into "40."

Paul Simon:

But on a more mythopoeic note, Dominic (friend/housemate) related to me that he figured out what he thinks (and I agree) is the primary image in Paul Simon's "Call Me Al" from the 1986 Graceland album.

But before I say this, let me note - I'm saying this is the primary "image" not the primary identity. In other words I do not think the song to be a musical adaptation of the whole thing where every line of the song draws out to Dante in a tight correspondence. Simply put, an image struck Simon's imagination and he wrote a song from the experience of being struck by it, working in other aspects in following the song where it led him (especially imagery from the third world cultures of Africa, which he was drawing on musically.)

One word ... "multivalence" (multiple layers/levels of meaning)

Here it is:

"Betty" = Beatrice
"Al"= a shortened form of Dante's last name (Alighieri)

"Bodyguard" = the fact that Beatrice leads Dante through Heaven as his guide up to the Mystical Rose, and it was she who sent Virgil to guide Dante through Hell.

"a Man walks down the street" = Dante wakes "midway this way of life we're bound upon" ... i.e., midway down the "road" of life.

"A Cartoon in a Cartoon graveyard" = Dante journeys through the underworld.

"Dogs in the moonlight" = The most dangerous of the three beasts that block Dante's way up the hill and out of the woods, thus necessitating that he go to the gates of Hell ... is a she-wolf.

"The third world" = Heaven in the Paradiso (simultaneous with being the third world cultures of Africa and, later, South/Latin America - see the final note below on "literary background".)

"Angels in the architecture, spinning in infinity" = just look at the illustrations that have been done of the Mystical rose from the Paradiso.
(the link is to the one from the book Dom put on the table in front of me while telling me. I think Dore's illustrations are pretty well known and standard. I think Blake and Dali also did famous illustrations)

Literary background
This is exactly up the line of the imaginary traditions Simon drew on for the Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints albums.

the literary genre known as "Magical Realism" officially comes from Latin America but I believe that African folk literature fits the model as well. This genre is defined by the wonder of the magical combined with the nitty gritty details of realism (hence the third world being Dante's Heaven with angels, and at the same time a third world marketplace place with cattle, scatterlings and orphans).

Simon's music has always struck me as "Magical Realism" - especially starting with the song "Hearts and Bones" (I think a primary image for that song was taken from My Name is Asher Lev. "One and One Half wondering Jews ... Traveling together, in the Sangre deChristo, the Blood of Christ Mountains" - I believe this to be based in the image of Asher joining his mythic ancestor in "wandering the world" after his painting the "Brooklyn Crucifixions" - a Jew wandering in a world of Christian imagination)

When you think about it - this is what the sacramental is about (the Body, Blood, Soul and divinity of God in a common white wafer), or as my friend Smitty (the lucky jerk who got to see U2) put it yesterday morning over breakfast when I described this all to him, "well, sounds to me pretty much like it sums up real life."
posted by Merlin at 8:42 AM


Comments on "Musical Interlude"

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (October 24, 2005 10:08 AM) : 

I added a link to a lyrics page.

Wow - I can't say whether I buy it totally yet, but it was always strange to me that "Betty" is "Al's" bodyguard. The Beatrice/Dante connection definitely explains that. This song is definitely symbolic of higher things, there's simply too much in it not to be, as Mr. Simon himself says, "hints and allegations...."

What I want to know is who's the "roly-poly little bat-faced girl"? Surely not "Long Tall Sally"?

Maybe Lissa could weigh in on "Hearts and Bones" - that's on of her favorites.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (October 24, 2005 10:26 AM) : 

Not sure who the roley-poley bat faced girl would be.

But on Dom's theory, the role model is NOT Virgil.

the role model is some combination of Emporer and Pope - with Dante's criticism of individual scoundrel popes etc
("Who'll be my role model, now that my role model is gone
ducked back down the alley with ..")

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!