Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Perelandra
A Good Snape...
How cool are swords?
Unbreakable Vows: Catholic and Eastern Orthodox th...
Potter and Pirates
Dead Man's Chest Trailer
Lion-Witch-Wardrobe trailer
Riddles Part 3: a History of Riddles (and Happy Ad...
Towering Technologies and Heights
Music


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Sectum Sempra

Hey everyone, just wanted you all to know I am still alive and kicking - Pauli's posts have been great in the dearth of my own contributions - I have just been working a lot of hours as well as working on Ph. D application stuff. By the way, I'm looking forward to discussions with a fellow holder of an MA in Theology such as La Shawn.

Sectum Sempra
I was working on thoughts on the Sectum Sempra spell in HBP in relation to an email to a former professor on a topic she raised in a conversation in her office at Grove City College a few days ago and it sparked the thought of a prediction I will officially throw out there.

As I have said before, Snapes healing incantation is "like a song" and I think the direct instances of music in the books are rare enough that I think we can say that they signal very important things.

Here is the background: Sempra is, I believe, either and actual Latin variant of the word "Semper" (meaning "ever" or "everlasting") or one JKR "made up"/adapted herself. "Sectum" is, I believe, the fourth principle part (the perfect passive participle) of the Latin verb "seco" which means to cut. So the spell would mean "ever cut." Maybe if I were more clever I would have seen ahead of time that if the HBP invented Sectum Sempra ("ever cut") then the HBP was probably ... Severus.

Also, the effect the spell has on Draco is an "ever-bleeding." This is very different from the instantaneously mortal brutality of the Avada Kedavra curse. A continual bleeding drains a person slowly, eats away at their soul gradually. Interestingly, in Hebrew thought, the "nephesh" or life force is in the "daam," the blood.

Drum Roll Please
So ... here's my prediction: Harry will destroy the Horcruxes, but Snape will actually kill Voldy with Sectum Sempra (it might be Harry that does it but I think it will be Snape ... if it is Harry that does the spell, I think Snape will actively withhold the healing.)

I think it will also be done at the cost of his own life and make him sort of a "good thief on the cross" character whose final redemption is in giving his life. I think she will reprise the unbreakable vow in book 7 and that the only way Voldemort will fully trust Snape is in an unbreakable vow not to let him die.

And I think that wording will be important, because I think once the Horcruxes are destroyed Voldemort will be hit with Sectum Sempra be either Harry or Snape, but either way both will be there and Voldy will know Snape invented the spell and is the only one who knows the healing incantation and Snape will let him die at the cost of his own life due to the unbreakable vow.

It is also possible that the death will be more along the "Voldemort made his own doom" line that Dumbledore goes into in HBP, and that in the place of the unbreakable vow there will be the situation that Voldy assumes Snape is betraying him - if Harry does the spell - and with his last energy uses Avada Kedavra on the only person who could save him. But I like the unbreakable vow version better, since I think it is too deep of an image for her to use it only once in the series and JKR is well known for introducing an element in one book and then making it crucial in another (such as polyjuice potion being introduced in book 2 but they don't find out a whole lot from Draco, but it is central to Barty Jr's deception in book 4) ... and in this version Snape willingly gives up his life.

I may be way off base, but if I'm right just remember ... you heard it here :)
posted by Merlin at 10:01 PM


Comments on "Sectum Sempra"

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (December 09, 2005 11:52 AM) : 

According to HP Lexicon, Harry saw Snape use this on his dad in the pensieve.

Merlin must have used legilimency against me recently and must have known that I had been pondering the significance of the sectumsempra spell. I have a different speculation which I will unveil to the world in the near future....

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (December 09, 2005 1:10 PM) : 

Pauli left a comment recently on a post from Oct 21 and I figured a lot of new readers might now make it back tha for for a while si I thought I would toss it up here - it's about Travis' Poll Troll prediction poll on events of book 7. http://swordofgryffindor.com/2005/12/08/poll-troll-what-will-happen-to-harry-in-book-7/

I posted a comment of my thoughts on the matters there is you want to check it out.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (December 09, 2005 1:12 PM) : 

Oooohhhh ... more speculations on Sectum Sempra - you can tell book 6 was so good by how many of the parts are undergoing serious investigation for deeper meanings.

But remeber, I did the linguistics on it LOL

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!