Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Rialb on Slugs and Slughorn
Umbridge's Shadow
Earth and Sky: The Divided House of the Seekers
The 8th Horcrux: The Scar and Last Things
Number 4 Privet Drive and the Order of the Seeker:...
Remembering the X
The Toads Tacky Tastes
Blast Ended Slugs in Books 2 and 6
Peeves: The Ghost-world's "Polter-Crux"
Hagrid's a Goner in Book 7


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

On Seekers

I was wrong, Krum was not the only seeker ever to catch the snitch while losing the game ... Ginny does it in her first game as seeker, against Hufflepuff in book 5.
posted by Merlin at 8:04 PM


Comments on "On Seekers"

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (February 26, 2006 11:22 PM) : 

oh i love a good 'admission of wrong-neww'.
:)

jo

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (February 27, 2006 8:33 AM) : 

Merlin's a stickler for accuracy.

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (February 27, 2006 9:40 AM) : 

hehehe. of course i meant wrong-neSS didn't i.....

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (February 27, 2006 11:23 AM) : 

Well, I only did it because it fit with all my theories of how important the image is and that Ginny is Harry's soul mate (technically - the connection with the golden snitch and Golden Soul) ... of course, a logical flow is that it might be a sign that Harry, in the end, will become the Golden Soul at the cost of his life. - but I'm hoping for a different solution :)

But you see, I was really only showing that I was right about something else :) LOL aren't perfectionists such crazy and insufferable bugger? LOL

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (February 27, 2006 11:28 AM) : 

One of Merlin's movie moments he identifies most with as a stickler for detail:
Mel Gibson as Jerry in "Conspiracy Theory" telling Julia Roberts that all the assassins were named in the press by all 3 names, and she points out John Hinkley, and he replies, slowly and thoughtfully, "yeah, but Hinkley only shot Reagan, I'm pretty sure if he had killed him we would hav known his middle names."
I think myself must be living proof that sticklers for details are nutters ... but we do have our place LOL
(next week I'm learning joined-up writing :) - 50 points to the house of whoever remembers who that is a reference to)

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (February 27, 2006 4:36 PM) : 

lol, merlin

jo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (February 27, 2006 4:38 PM) : 

Harry did it, too, didn't he? In an early book, I believe.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (February 27, 2006 5:47 PM) : 

not sure if Harry did it ... I started "Re-reading" with book 4 so it has been a while since I read the actual Quidditch matches in the first 3 books

They lost the Hufflepuff game in book 3 because of falling off of his broom, so he didn't catch the snitch at all that game, which kind of plays into the whole thing of the character of Cedric and House Hufflepuff in book 4.

It would be interesting if he did ... I just assumed that because in book 4 the very idea of the winning team not having the snitch seemed so foreign to Bagman's mind that it must be a fairly rare occurrence - but if you found a match in which Harry did it in the first few books, that would definitely be interesting.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (February 27, 2006 5:51 PM) : 

awww, c'mon Jo, you just re-read book 5, you should be commenting who the reference was to so you can get the 50 points for House Australia :)
I had totally forgotten myself that the nutter was in there till I re-read/listened to it.

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (February 28, 2006 2:37 AM) : 

well of course it's lockhart isn't it? are you sure that's worth 50 points?

:P

jo

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (February 28, 2006 9:28 AM) : 

50 points to House Australia

seeing as before re-reading "Christmas on the Closed Ward" I would have answered with a resounding "hunh???" I think it should definitely be worth 50 points.

But also I spent several hours reading some very long pieces by a guy that were, if a bit cranky, brilliant. And that indicate Lockhart's presence in book 5 may be more than random, that it may be a clue to how to kill Voldy (and so remembering that Lockhart appeared in book 5 is very worth points, and in that phrasing just now there is a clue to what he is talking about ... but, when the link goes up you can read his "revised changling theory" essay ... but I warn you, it is even longer than my stuff :) ).

I have a big addendum coming to my "literary approaches" post that I will point out with a new post ... this guys stuff that Pauli sent me is huge to the understanding of the books (especially as "incarnational" literature).

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (February 28, 2006 9:30 AM) : 

I'm simply a stickler for detail, this guy I'm talking about actually has the goods on the details

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (February 28, 2006 9:37 AM) : 

To give referral credit, the "red-hen" post to which I believe Merlin is referring came by way of My Boaz's Ruth in the Umbridge post.

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (February 28, 2006 10:10 AM) : 

aussie aussie aussie. oi oi oi


:)

can't wait for a spare hour or two to read through the intriguing sounding material.

jo

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!