Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Spidey Snape
Disney Does Derrida: John Granger at Lumos 2006; D...
Fear of the name and the Wings of Death
Spinners End and the Department of Mysteries: Home...
Prediction
Red Hen
SunKatabasis: The Vertical Dimension of Chiasm and...
Felix Felicity
Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! (Lumos 2006 Material)
Chiasm and Love: Playing to Potter's Strengths


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Live from the Bronx

This isn't an official post ... just tossing in really quickly to say keep coming back and things will be coming from my end soon ... lots of running around here in the Bronx at the beginning of the semester at Fordham, getting registered for classes and all that good stuff ... including having a conversation on Potter and Pomo at the "president's reception" for grad students, with a few of my fellow theology phd candidates and a girl from the grad English program who is focussing on PoMo lit ... I told her to stop by here and then tell me if I have my head up my posterior or not on the main tenets of the whole PoMo thing.

Actually, you'll notice a "new" post on Spidey Snape ... I actually wrote that last week and was unable to get it to publish and forgot that it was still in draft until I saw it tonight. I looked at main page and thought "we haven't posted since the 20th? ... we're slipping really bad, and I thought I did that thing on Snape being a Spider animagus essay" and then I saw it was still in draft ... oops. Sorry, Felicity, if that was you who sent the link, I really did check it out and write on it a lot sooner than tonight :)

Also, on the overnight drive out here I listened to 3 podcasts by Father Roderick who did www.catholicinsider.com, which is still running I think, but his new bigger deal is supposed to be www.sqpn.com, but I am having trouble accesing it right now. Anyway, the 3 podcasts were "The Secrets of the Caribbean" and he actually had a lot of cool stuff researched on the pirate legends/sea legends/davey jones legends and the 4th podcasts is supposed to be on some of the mythology behind the Kraken. Fr Roderick has some pretty cool podcasts on Harry Potter as well ... I have only heard up to around #6 because he got going heavy on the World Youth Day in Germany when he went there and then he started up the new sq podcast network thing and all, but the friend who made me the CD of the PotC podcasts also made one of the newer Potter podcasts which I have yet to listen to. So I thought I would just point everyone in that direction (if you're into the whole Ipod thing you can find it on there I guess, I have never figured it out or gotten into it but mine and Pauli's friend Dan is all into it) ... something for everyone - the potterites as well as we in the Captain Jack fanclub :) Fr Roderick is pretty fun to listen to.

In the next few days I may toss up some pictures here from where I am living now and the University and all ... just so you all can get a little flavor of the Bronx.

But for now ...
Signing of from the McGinnley center student union on the campus of Fordham U on W Fordham road in the Bronx, in the city that never sleeps,

Merlin
posted by Merlin at 10:42 PM


Comments on "Live from the Bronx"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 30, 2006 12:53 PM) : 

There is a great book you might enjoy called "Pirate Hunter --- the True Story of Captain Kidd". I'm about 1/3 through and really enjoying it.

I've listened to a few of the Secrets of HP broadcasts, but I don't find them as interesting as Mugglecast or Pottercast.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 30, 2006 7:37 PM) : 

I'd forgotten all about Fr. Roderick. I listened to his podcasts during the Conclave (Amy Welborn over on Open Book linked to him since we were all going crazy speculating). I'll check out his Potterthoughts.

Thanks!

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (August 31, 2006 4:40 AM) : 

hey merlin!

good to hear that you are settling in well there. i'm sure it's all exciting and energizing.

all the best for your first term. (or is it semester?)

cheers,
jo

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (August 31, 2006 5:53 PM) : 

Prof Mum,
yeah, I guess I should have said more about Fr Roderick's podcasts. I have found some interesting info in them I did not know of before, like St Hedwig, patron saint of orphans, as the background for Hedwig the owl. But the info is often not strong as far as theories of how th things actually work on the level of the relation between symbolism and plot meaning ... such as, I thought his connecting so strongly, in his first one, of the 3 magi in the Nativity narrative and DD McGonnegal and Hagrid bringing Harry was a bit of a stretch. the Hogwart's staff are more kind of in a protectory role and not as strictly (as far as the narrative itself goes) in the "adoration" or "revelation/recognition" category ... it holds on a very general level of leading trios combined with magi as wizards but that is about it ... but I just kind of took it as Roderick maybe meandering a little as far as meaning but not too bad, more like he seems like he would take something like that as sort of an extra he threw in like "it may be like this" and if he heard sombdoy say what I just said he would probably say "hmmmm, I see what you're saying ... interesting"

And I should toss out another preview, that the 3rd PotC podcast was simply him reading and commenting back to some listener email, and none of it was really informative. I can't really hold anyone accountable on that kind of thing, but should tell people that, in that third on for instance you won't have even much response to questions with new specific detail, it's more "I think it's really cool you're finding these sources and stuff behind the movies" and "thank you ... I'm mainly having fun explaining some of the stuff to people" kind of thing ... which is fine, it's just kind of the level his podcasts are at.

So, in all, as far as the kind of stuff we work on here Fr Roderick kind of just scratches the surfaces of some of the details ... in the case of HP there is a new tidbit here and there but a lot of it we have kind of covered (and more) in our kinds sites - in the case of PotC is was some new material for me so that was cool.
But I definitely want to check out that book on Pirates you mentioned, sounds pretty good.

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (August 31, 2006 5:59 PM) : 

Just wondering -- do the traditional names of the Magi ever come up in the books? (Kaspar, Melchior, Balthasar)

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!