Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Priori Incantatem Part 3: The Missing Spell
I have Confirmation
Priori Incantatem Part 2: HP and Philosophy
HP and Sorcery: The Wand and The Light-Saber
Snape's Secret
Riddles Part 2: Imagination
Priori Incantatem
Succinct Definition
Clues
The Granger Model


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Having Class

Ok, We already know from John Granger's work that at least one of the classes at Hogwart's is heavily tied to the underlying alchemical structure/nature of the books - Transfiguration. That is what alchemy is all about, the changing of the soul. For those who would note that the class mainly deals with changing the form of a thing, it should also be noted that for one of two most influential philosophers ever, Aristotle, the soul was the "form" of the body, that which gives definition, meaning and movement to the body.

But Pauli's post on Potions possibly being notable because it is a sort of wandless magic and my own comment on that post (that both potions masters we have met have been from Slytherin and that possibly this is a connection between Slytherin's symbolism of the water element and potions) have started me thinking.

As I said, we already know that one class subject is highly symbolic - what about others?
I think Potions and Divination both have special meaning for Rowling. Potions is especially meaningful because of Snape. I think it sort of defines him. If I am right about Potions being tied to the Slytherin/water element which is dangerous but can be transformed into something powerfully good, I think Snape will be even more central to the core action of the series than even we have guessed thus far.

I don't know if my next comment will prove right under scrutiny, but I think it possible that there is a connection between four of the classes and the four houses. I already stated that the 2 potions masters were from Slytherin, but notably they were also both men. The other two that I know for sure is that Transfiguration and Herbology have consistently been the same woman professor.

I think Herbology is symbolic/important as a general respect for the broad spectrum of life in the sense of "living things." I do not feel guilty if I accidentally kill a plant the way I do if I ran over a dog, and running over a dog is no comparison to accidentally causing the death of a human person ... but I also don't think it would be a psychological plus is I were going around doing it for kicks. In Medieval philosophy they spoke of 3 types of souls: the vegative soul as plants have, the sensate soul as animals have, and the intellectual soul as humans have.

The fourth class would have to be a post held by a male to match the 2 men/2 women model of the houses. Defense Against the Dark Arts was taught by Umbridge in book 5 but she was the least "Dumbledore friendly" appointee ... there is a strong possibility that having her teach it was a "political" concession by Dumbledore. There is also Flitwick and Charms - like I said, I may be way off on this theory.

Now ... Divination. I stated in a comment in response to Pauli's comment on my post on Wands and Lightsabers that in Rowling's having the Snape-Dumbledore action take place on top of the astronomy tower there is a lot wrapped up in Rowling's view of Divination. Note also that Trelawney predicts it with her cards, and Harry finds this out just before he and Dumbledore leave on the trip to the cave.

Divination can be helpful, but it is also like knowledge simply for knowledge's sake. Just like desire does in the mirror of Erised, knowing the future can distract us from our responsibility to make the future. Obviously we are not gods and cannot "make" the future absolutely, but our choices and actions are the process of us becoming who we become and they can be very influential in whether those around us become who they should be - often our actions either hurt or help their efforts to become a better person.
posted by Merlin at 6:21 PM


Comments on "Having Class"

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!