Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Serpents and Simpering
Giants and Gin Part 2: Hagrid the Red
"Crossing" the Line
Newman's "Illative Sense"
What of Thee, oh Toad? : Toads and Basilisks
Toads and Forebodings
Great Article on Horcruxes
The Big Book 7 News!
Why Not Potter-napping?
Snape: Bound by multiple vows?


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

An Acknowledgement: The Imperius Curse, Free Will and Human Dignity

I owe JKR2 an acknowledgement for her unwavering insistance on Harry's prowess with regards to the Imperius curse. As DD said of Neville in book 1, it takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies ... but even more to stand up to your friends.

I have been "re-reading" book 4 (I put that in quotes because I have been listening to it on tape while doing some driving) and had forgotten the very emphatic scene where BC Jr, faking being Moody, sets Harry up as an example of fighting the Imperius, and indeed runs him through a number of times of the exercize in front of the class, and in doing so actually helps Harry to hone this power to the point where, I would say, that it is possible that the only 2 people who could effectively use Imperius on Harry would be Voldy and DD, wizards of that height of power (although DD would never do that).



Social Criticism

I have an important post/piece in the works on the centrality of book 4 to the 7 stage development of the series and so I think, since this occurs in book 4, that this element is key to Rowling's outlook and an important aspect of her central theme of death. The similarities between Harry and BC Jr regarding their prowess in overcoming Imperius (cf a few paragraphs below) indicates, I think, a central aspect of this book by itself, but that the place of the book within the series as a whole also lends that aspect a centrality in the whole project.

Even though it may only be out of "acting the part well" BC Jr still partakes in a validly true role as a teacher. There is, of course, the aspect of mimicking Moody's personal traits, but BC Jr goes beyond this ... even if it is as a ruse, still he does a good job as a teacher. I think that this indicates a possibility of redemption, and I think there are small hints of this in the book - such as when Harry passes task 1 (the dragon - just listened to that today) the way Rowling describes "Moody's" joy as common with the other Hogwarts teahcers just seems to me like it is real, like Barty might not be just faking it, like he (meaning BC Jr himself) might actually be partaking in the naturally good joy of a teacher who has seen a student perform well something in which they have mentored them.

And BC Jr really does have something to offer Harry as a mentor, which I think is a point Rowling makes rather well. Think about it: Harry is not the only one who should be praised for conquering the Imperius - we find out by the book's end that BC Jr eventually overcame the use of it on himself by his own father.

These are just hints, just small beginnings, and they do not stop BC Jr from carrying through his plan to put Harry in the hands of Voldy. But once the plan is uncovered and BC Jr is under lock and key, there may be possibilities ... but we will never know, for he was kissed by a dementor under the very eye of the great "buerocratic savior" Fudge. The possibility of the slavation of a soul was completely cut off by bumbling self-righteous arrogance.

I do not think it "accidental" that Rowling has McGonnegal warn the fake Moody "we do not use transfiguration as a punishment," in the same book as she has an actual dementor's kiss fully performed ... I think it is intentional. There are arguments in favor of the "death penalty" that really do not rely on the idea of using death as a true penalty, but on the pragmatic consdieration of it's possible effectiveness for assuring the inability to commit further similar crimes, and these arguments constitute their own separate debate. But in this instance I think Rowling is saying that a psychic death like that dealt by the dementors should never be used as a punishment (ie, not speaking of "death penalty" as a "precaution" but properly as a "penalty" - a thing which the wizarding community has no real problem with allowing the possibility of by having the dementors as the gaurdians of Azkaban and which Fudge stands idly by and watches happen in person).

Agree or disagree with Rowling as you like, but it seems to me that this is what she is saying through the literary connection of various "punishments," the similarities between Harry and BC Jr with Imperius, the fact that, regardless of his conscious motivations, BC Jr does actually do a good job of teaching and the fact that the redemptive possibilities this might imply are comepletely killed by the dementor's kiss, which has buerocratically been allowed into the wizarding penal system.

I think she is emphasizing the dignity of the human person this way and in particular by emphasizing the connection of that diginity with human free will, which she symbolizes in Harry's and Barty Jr's ability to resist the Imperius curse.

As I have been getting to know BC Jr better in this re-reading, getting to know him through how he imitates Moody, I have been all the more genuinely saddened by the knowledge that he will suffer the fate he will at the end of the book.
posted by Merlin at 8:22 PM


Comments on "An Acknowledgement: The Imperius Curse, Free Will and Human Dignity"

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (January 26, 2006 6:04 AM) : 

this brings up an interesting aside too, regarding snape.

when teaching as moody, barty crouch jr noticed a strength, and built on that until it produced something substantial.
this is the basics of teaching something skill based really. (i taught music for years, so this is kinda my area)
in a similar situation, snape quite obviously did not do this. in harry's very first occlumency (sp?) lesson he managed to repel snape out of his mind and use that stinging hex against him as well. snape says his attempt is 'not as poor' as it could have been, and then proceeds to weaken him, not strengthen. his own need to overcome harry (james' son) seems more important than nurturing the beginnings of a skill.

so here is the character who is a bad guy coaxing growth, whilst the ?good? guy strangles it.

the funny thing is i have known really excellent performers (musicians) who were hopeless teachers, and they displayed a similar dynamic.
their own need/ desire to be remarkable seems to outweigh the intention to draw someone else's gifts out too.
i'd say snape was most likely a powerful wizard and a talented potions maker too, but he manages to intimidate most of his class into *under* achieving! not really the mark of a great teacher ... imo. (there are those who differ in view here even in the boring ol' muggle world of teaching)

so, trying to bring this back on topic ;) there are so many ways to do right and wrong with good and bad intentions.
barty crouch jr is serving his own agenda. he does a good deed, but to an evil end. he is trying to ensure that harry makes it through the tournament.
i suspect the glee and genuine pleasure crouch gets from seeing harry beat the dragon, is due to the fact that harry is getting him closer to his own goal.

snape on the other hand, is losing sight of his objective (protect harry and honour his agreement with dumbledore - i am in the "snape is a complicated and mostly unpleasant character on the good side" camp) and being blinded by his own insecurity and bitterness.

back to crouch jr. - they needed him alive to give evidence and credence to their astounding news about voldemort. i don't think they were expecting him to repent.

but i agree with you at a fundamental level. while there is life, there is always a chance of someone being redeemed. and this chance is an intensely valuable thing which i think needs to be guarded where ever possible.

jkr2

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (January 26, 2006 6:05 AM) : 

oh and gee, thanks for the acknowledgement!!!!!

jkr2

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 26, 2006 5:41 PM) : 

Oh yeah, I forgot to put in this link to an excelent observation/post Pauli had back in early October about Dobby and the importance of free will, or the "freedom to obey" - great post

http://www.mugglematters.com/2005/10/house-elves-and-freedom-to-obey.html

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 26, 2006 5:52 PM) : 

JKR2, well it was only fair ... I was boorishly like "well, yes kind of course maybe you could say that ... I suppose - but you have to keep this that and the other thing in mind, you know" (sounding like a Percy Weasely version of a blast ended skrewt) and you just stuck to your guns like you should have ... sometime blast-ended skrewts like myself need to receive a good knock upside the head LOL (I'm really into the whole blast ended skrewt thing right now [in case you couldn't tell :) ] because I am re-reading book 4, and I think that the centrality of this book, as will be discussed in a "big important post" I have in the works, gives this particular magical creature a unique significance, especially given Hagrid's love of them and even it seems [according to Skeeter's scathing article on Hagrid - which is a dubious source] he might have had some hand in their nature through breeding them - and given the central role he seems likely, to me, to play in book 7, the "red stage" of the alchemical process.

Blast-Ended Skrewts, Hagrid, Wookies ... they're my kind of people LOL)

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (January 26, 2006 7:54 PM) : 

i think you may be kindred spirits with my son! i predict he will like the skrewts too when he is introduced to them in about 5 years time!

jo

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 27, 2006 12:45 AM) : 

Well, I am definitely kindred to the skrewts ... I think it would be pretty much a lost battle from the beginning to try to claim otherwise LOL

My take on those such as your son is that they are my most valuable allies in keeping the responsible adults from simply writing me off as a nutter :) (I love that word)

Of course this perception of myself by the responsible world will change drastically for the better once my genius is realized in the reading of my "big, important" report on the importance of the thickness of cauldron bottoms ... I, uh, I mean my "big important" post on the centrality of book 4 :)

I don't think it a coincidence that Percy's boorishness and the BESes are introduced in the same book ... of course I suppose it tips the hand of my own character to let it out that I see a connection and have some, er, shall we say "personal insight" into the natures of both and how they relate.

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (January 27, 2006 6:58 AM) : 

i'm intrigued... what 'personal insight' be this???

jo

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 27, 2006 8:16 AM) : 

That would be the one where I go "hey, I sort of sounded like percy just now" and then at other times say "I am sort of a BES" .... and then I say, "hmmm ... percy and the BESes must be connected because I have similarities to each ... and I am definitely connected to me"

The above has been the opening lines of my new best-selling auto-biography, "How a Skrewt does Logic:The Merlin Story" LOL

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (January 27, 2006 3:52 PM) : 

LOL!

to be closely followed by it's sequel
"Don't Stand too Close.. I'm Thinking" (or "how i lost my mind and behind at the same time"...)

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 27, 2006 5:11 PM) : 

LOL :)

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 28, 2006 6:04 PM) : 

I love coming up with Titles for possible books ... speaking of losing one's behind I literally laughed my butt off when I saw the Title of Lockheart's new book, "Who am I?" - for some reason, even though pretty mundane, it just seemd to me to totally capture how his amnesia revealed his true-airheadedness

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (January 28, 2006 6:48 PM) : 

and the fact that he felt compelled to write a book about it!!!!!!

jo

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 30, 2006 1:28 AM) : 

I think Rowling also enjoys this little game of coming up with funny and interesting book titles - I was just noticing in listening to book 4 on tape tonight, all of the titles of books she has Harry, Ron and Hermione looking through - some of them are really funny

But speaking of this, this sort of relates to a post I will crank out here in a few minutes ... but I think the time she devotes to the endeavor of looking ONLY in spell books is important - the answer that enables Harry to be the first one to the hostages in the lake and thus also to rescue Gabrielle Delacour too is NOT a spell, but a plant, an earth element (which is why I think, that for all the other short-comings of the 4th movie, one cool change they made was having Neville give Harry the gillyweed - it points to the role of Neville along the lines of the post I am about to write in a few minutes - which is, btw, NOT the "big important" post on book 4 I have been promising forver and a day, that will probably come tomorrow evening ... I have important sections of it written but need to crank out the other parts)

Think about how key Harry is to all of the hostages except maybe Cho - She notes that Krum might have missed the rope with those shark teeth and hurt Hermione had not Harry been there to give him the cutting rock. With Fleur and Cedric, this just hit me, notice how she notes that the Bubblehead charm distorts Cedric's features - I think it probably distorted his perception too and caused him to be delayed in getting there more quickly like Harry - only Harry's use of the earth element enabled him to deal with the situation by really entering into the water element, becoming a creature of the water, breathing with gills.

And btw, the movie did nothing to capture how much Harry kicked mer-butt ... I was totally charged up listening to Harry's 3-count ultimatum to the mer-men over letting him untie Gabrielle after he had given Fleur sufficient chance to make it there ... he meant business and they knew it, and they gave him credit for it too in the report to DD.

Oh yeah, and the movie did nothing to capture Harry's die-hard spirit of being able to go with the flow, that snazzy little wand leg-holster was a cheap substitution for Harry's die-hard determination in wading out into the water fully in his robes because Dobby woke him up mere moments before the 2nd task began ... Harry is my man because he can rock and roll/"lock and load" on a moment's notice ... he pulled an all nighter and was still able to fight hard and keep his head on his shoulders and his webbed feet pumping beyond burning pain.

All right, enough ripping on the movie for one night LOL

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 30, 2006 1:38 AM) : 

Ok, just one more comment on how insightful Rowling is before I head on to the post I want to write tonight and then to bed. This comment is sort of separate but not big enough for a post but also this is I guess the place for it cuz I noticed it in these same sections of book 4 tonight.

I laughed heartily when Harry thinks to himself, after finishing task 2, taht he is going to buy Dobby a pair of socks for every day of the year. But I also think the oingoing thread of the fact that Harry freed Dobby with a sock is indicative of Rowling's sensitivity and insight on how the things that appear to be "the little things" are important and can play roles in the "big things."

When Pauli and I were in a band with our friend Nate, one of Nate's sings that was on our last album was called simply "Shoes," but the original fuller title was "The Importance of Shoes" (I walways wished he'd kept it longer, I thought it would be more intriguing to a listener rather than distracting)
"Never thought that I'd be wearing - shoes, help my feet, sometimes they get so tired"
I think the sock thing is a rich insight on Rowling's part

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (January 30, 2006 2:24 AM) : 

Oops, was looking at this post and remembered one more thing that hit me in my listening tonight to book 4.

As regards Rowling's disposition on such "punishments" ... notice Sirius' comments (in the cave near Hogsmeade)on the short-comings of Barty Crouch Sr:

"He answered violence with violence"

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (February 01, 2006 11:09 PM) : 

Morganna,
great comment on Lewis ... there is a lot on this in St Bonaventure's thought on the Life of St Francis ... he saw Francis as the best example of this, the legends that all manner of animals were peaceful in his presence (in addition to his being a Stigmatist).

Bonaventure even does a turn on St Augustine's comments on the "evening, morning, day" progression in the creation story of Genesis 1 (a "spiritual reading" of that text)- Augustine used it to discuss the role of Angelic intelligence in creation and Bonaventure uses it to discuss the role of human intelligence in the redemption of creation.

Now, Hagrid is half giant and half wizard - and giants were believed to be half giant and half demi-gogue/angle ... and so Hagrid as breeder of magical creatures is really both human intelligence and "angelic" intelligence operating in the healing of the animal/biological realm of life.

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (February 02, 2006 11:46 AM) : 

I read Problem of Pain about 10 years ago and the part I remember is the part being cited. It stuck in my head because of the idea of animal "souls" being ordered in a way as to be subject to humans such that our pets may appear with us in heaven as part of us, i.e., the part we get to take to heaven, not our houses and cars. In other words there can be something of a spiritual nature in the relationship between humans and animals. Tolkien presents a great picture of "love" between man and beast in the character of Huan, the "hound of Valinor".

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (February 02, 2006 12:44 PM) : 

Ah ... that reference clears it up for me a little, the issue of "will your pet be in heaven." Good point, animal psychology is important, especially for kids but even for us "grown ups"

It really is quite like Sirius says about Barty Crouch, "if you want the measure of a man look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals" - pets are a good way for children (and adults often times) to learn empathy and sympathy because animal psyche, being sensate and subject to "emotional states" (ie able to expereince the phenomonon of fear etc), seem to us to be very like human.

That's why I love the fact that there are so many pets in HP and of such a variety of personalities ... I simply love Hedgwig's annaoyance at Pig.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (February 02, 2006 12:54 PM) : 

and sometimes pets are simply just fun

I once made up a song I sang to a friends dog whilst I was feeding her while he and his wife were out of town(and now you can see exactly why it is that in the early sources of the Arthurian legends Merlin began as a "nutter" up in the hills LOL)

He used to refer to this dog as "muzzle snout" sometimes (even though her name was Rowsby, I believe from "water-ship down") and not meaing as in a muzzling strap or anything, I think the two words were meant ot be repetitive and muzzle to be sort of like "nuzzle."

so, this song was an adaptation of the Motzel Toff (sp?)song in the graveyard "dream" in Fiddler on the Roof:

"A Blessing on your head
Muzzle Snout, Muzzle Snout
And may You be well fed
Muzzle Snout, Muzzle Snout
With much fine schnouter krout
To fill your belly out
Rowsby, muzzle snout
"

*Ron leaned over to Harry and whispered, "told you ... mental, that one is"*

 

Blogger MommyLydia said ... (February 10, 2006 1:42 AM) : 

"i'd say snape was most likely a powerful wizard and a talented potions maker too, but he manages to intimidate most of his class into *under* achieving! not really the mark of a great teacher ... imo. (there are those who differ in view here even in the boring ol' muggle world of teaching)"

I believe Quoth the RAven has some posts up about how Snape may not be as bad a teacher as it at first appears.

After all, he did say he expects the high marks he has come to expect from his potion students on OWLs. And they aren't exactly going to get that knowledge away from him. His methods seem cruel and harsh -- but they do evidently get the job done. And I can remember, in school, that the best teachers were considered the harshest and worst -- but you also really learned from them.

And the very last things we've heard Snape say, he was pointing out things Harry needs to work on. A true teacher indeed.

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!