Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Lumos
Study Finds HP Has Positive Impact on Kids School ...
News from Lumos-bound Professor
R.A.B. and the Big Switcheroo
Robed and Ready
The Horcrux Hunt
New stuff at Hogwart's Professor
Dead Man's Chest Post 2: Christ Figures and Bad Guys
Smeagol Crouch and Harry Baggins
Dead Man's Chest Post 1: Broadening the Scope


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Pictures and Fun Stuff From the Night Before "Classes Begin"

To answer your questions Felicity ... a lot. I snapped this during the welcoming banquet this evening (I was at the far end from the head table, but I was midway widthwise, which went probably 3 to 4 tables in either direction from me). I was at the opening banquet in the Great Hall because I have a blue dot on my badge - the people with orange dots had to eat in another dining room and they will get to have the farewell feast in the Great Hall, whereas I won't. ... To quote the Hitchhiker' Guide "It's big".

One of the lady's sitting next to me was from Le Moyne College, "the Jesuit College of Central New York" and says she knew the current President of Fordham while he was at Le Moyne.

This is in the vendors area, I'll have to take some mor pics tomorrow of some of the stuff they have for sale: Sets of robes, some pretty fancy wands and jewelry (oh yeah ... and that isn't a statue of Dobby ... that's really him - he made a guest appearance ... I've got some nasty welts to show for a wise-crak I made about Harry :) )


Just a taste of some of the costumes I snapped really quickly. Some of these people are pretty thorough. I'll try to get more better pics tomorrow ... there was a couple showed up as beaters, had the whole 9 yards, great costumes


This is Vegas from the air (with a little delayed exposure and some turbulence.)

NEWS

1. Okay, My (tentative) schedule for tomorrow:

- Not Just Good and Evil: Moral Alingment in Harry Potter

- Love Potion # 9: Vice, Volition and Voldemort

- A Study in Evil: Voldemort, the Malignant Narcissist

- I Solemnly Swear I am up to no Good: The Trickster archetype in HP and Beyond

- Harry Potter and the Sacntuary of Everyday Life: JK Rowling's Complex treatment of the Trope of Normalcy

2. Rock and Roll:

I was pretty impressed with the concert tonight. I figured it was going to be not the type of thing you can judge like other shows where you go to see a band and say that they were good, or not so good, etc. I was expecting it to be "actish," which of course it was because it is a big Potterfest; and I was expecting it to be "conferency," (rather than concertish) which it was - no real stage lighting, not a really big PA system - Draco and the Malfoys was basically 2 guys on guitars with a taped drum trak and the one "Draco" then played drums as Ron Weasely for the 4th year Hary and the 7th year Harry, who comprised Harry and the Potters (young Harry played keys and once a sax and old Harry played guitar).

For all that though, and the fact that all the songs were stuff from the books ... it was very interesting, fun ... and professional. the act was good ... they played the characters up well, and they played and sang really professionally ... although in the "pumped up rock" genre that has different tones than in other forms of music performance (I really like the rock myself)... what I mean is they were tight. Even with the taped stuff, they had it down well.

The stuff was witty. The Draco's did more Goth/Grunge type stuff, but pretty clean soundwise, not super-muddy arrangements. And the Potters did more of your Weezer-type popped up punk. Younger Harry had a pretty good semi-hyper-active version of Dan Radcliffe talking about how important themes like love and frienship, and Rock, would stick it to "the man," Voldy. The wit had some to do historical sense too. At one point the 2 potters and the Weasley all stood up and were doing the Pete Townsend Windmill but it was to a tape-track so it was basically the "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" motion, which I found hilarious. And The Draco's did a cool version of "99 Red/Luft Balloons" ... but only it was "99 Death Eaters" (with tones of both the Nena original and the live punk version t the band 7 Seconds did ... personally I always really liked the German version by Neena because she puts some personality into it that isn't there in the Enlish version ... you can tell German is her native tongue.)

... my point is, it all sounds campy on paper but these guys pulled the act off as a pretty decent rock concert, despite no stage lighting other than the house lights in the room and a smaller PA system and using taped drum tracks on some songs, etc. -- it was credible as a rock show as far as sound and performance. I was impressed and it was fun and witty ... All the costumed people were having a blast dancing too

I'll be posting tomorrow from the convention on the various talks.

posted by Merlin at 2:34 AM


Comments on "Pictures and Fun Stuff From the Night Before "Classes Begin""

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (July 28, 2006 1:44 PM) : 

It's kind of weird, but I couldn't see the pictures at first. I closed the site and reopened it and they showed up. It might have to do with the fact that there is a space (%20) in the filename. Merlin, make sure you use hyphens and underscores instead of spaces when naming the pictures. (This also happen to my dad, so that's why I posted this comment.)

 

Blogger Cubeland Mystic said ... (July 28, 2006 7:27 PM) : 

http://news.com.com/2061-10786_3-6099932.html?part=rss&tag=6099932&subj=news

Saw this thought you might be interested.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 28, 2006 8:04 PM) : 

Pauli, they come right up for me ... I have not been able to get them to post up on the MM site through blogger but I have been able to get them up on the othe MM (Merlin Musing) so I have just been putting them there and copy and pasting the addy from the Properties and using that url fillin on MM instead of the "upload" function
Let me know if it is still funky on this next one because it is a VERY goody

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (July 28, 2006 8:47 PM) : 

*am pouting* i can't see the pictures at all.

good to hear you are having such a fabulous time.

jo

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (July 28, 2006 11:16 PM) : 

I'm going to see what I can do with the pics. Like I said, I can see 'em, but not at first. We'll get it sorted out.

Mystic, we have a link to that guy's site. Check out this post for a theory I admit I like. But I've pretty much accepted that Dumbledore is probably dead.

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!