Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Crestfallen and Frustrated
What happens in Vegas won't stay in Vegas...
Good or Bad Symbolism Debate
M. Night Rumor
Muggle Matters' Merlin going to Lumos 2006!
Oho! "Muggle Magic" and Gumshoe's excellent theory
Symbols Revisited
Saint Mungo
Snape Revisited
Draco Malfoy


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Dead Man's Chest Post 1: Broadening the Scope

Ok, This is not the main post I lost, That will be # 2 - but some of the stuff that was simply "tagged along" because I wanted to get it in (although, tonights viewing clinched some things for me on a better answer on the Barbosa question ... I think) but I think this post feels like the shorter of the two so I will do it first and see how it goes and how I am feeling.

So, here is the place where I write more extensively on my reading of movie 1 than I did last night because it will explain better what I came up with on movie 2 tonight. Basically, I believe that movie one, in the end presents a middle pairing of a man and woman and then symbolic parings move out from their.

Davey Jones and Lord Cutler Becket

Basically I think movie one is about the way "myth" looks at the world (ie higher realities in the details of lower realities - that the lower reality of "historical fact" is defined by its connection to truths that are of a higher realm, rather than "truth" being merely synonymous for "historical facticity" - as Tia Dalma says: "Same Story, different versions - and all of them true!" ) as set against the way "science" looks at the world (this is not to say that scientific knowledge is wrong or any such thing, just to say that when the emphasis on it goes to the tyrannical level of absolute materialist concept of truth, it is wrong).

So, what do you have in movie 1? You have a compass that is "scientifically inaccurate" but points to the real treasure. And when Jack and Will get into the island and Jack tells him that he is well on his way to becoming a pirate ("Sprung a man from jail, sailed with a buccaneer crew out of Tortuga ... and you're completely obsessed with treasure"), Will responds "that's not true ... I'm not obsessed with Treasure." Jack rebutts, "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate" and then the shot pans to ... Elizabeth (held by Barbosa over the high altar of the chest full of Cortez's cursed gold). In the end the path for Will to finding the treasure is finding his balanced place as the bridge between Norrington and Jack ("You forget your place MR Turner" "No, it's right here, between you and Jack") - then Elizabeth can find her place beside him in betrothal

(Side Note: I'll stick this in here because I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit it in in the other post or elsewhere - as to what we were saying in the comments about the hat and clothing ... notice in DMC that it is not just any dress Elizabeth uses to get the sailors to take her to Tortuga ... if you follow it back to the beginning of the movie - it is her wedding dress - oh, and on the hats thing ... note in movie 1 Jack's line of appeal to Barbosa "and I'll buy you a new hat, a nice big one ... Commodore").

Jack and James
Moving out on either side of the betrothal couple you have Jack as the free-spirit and Norrington as the institution/law. In a moment I will describe and defend one of my more controversial readings (from which I garnered some accusations of extreme reader-response interpretation - it was quite fun actually), on Governor Swan as the institutional mentality ( actually the statement that came under fire was referring to him as a "satanic tempter" opposite Barbosa's barbaric obsession with the "temptation fruit," to the level of gluttony ["I'm going to eat a whole barrel of apples"] and voyeurism - the way Barbosa watches Elizabeth eating and offers her an apple is downright creepy). Swan is the institutional mentality, but Norrington, in movie 1, is the institution itself, able to work in the real world and prudently work with real people, not taken tot he level of an ideology. It is Swan who is always jumping the gun, literally, in just willy-nilly using the institution's power (Jack just saved his daughter from drowning, he doesn't even know Jack is a pirate and the first words out of his mouth are "shoot him." Once he does learn that he is a pirate, the first words out of his mouth are "hang him.")

In the scheme of the history of religion in the world, Norrington is like the Jewish law that is a bridge between paganism and Christianity. Notice in movie 1 how Elizabeth burns the rum (very much like the Israelite holocaust sacrifice) in order to call Norrington to save her and Jack on the island (here is another goodie - the rum as symbolic of the free-spirit taken in the direction of paganism - took heat on this one too, LOL In post 2, on Sparrow as Christ symbol and Barbosa as reformed bad guy [structuring that post on Sumara's questions because I think they are connected and the connection is the key] you'll get to see Merlin in "I got a jar of di-irt! I got a jar of di-irt!" mode - like "Look! I found evidence in movie 2!" - much like, "Look! an un-dead monkey! Top That!" LOL - this all gets a lot easier when you accept the fact that you're crazy as a loon LOL)

(NOTE: On the use of "Jewish Holocaust Sacrifice" in the immediately preceding paragraph - it is in no way an allusion to the Holocaust in Germany in World War II, mainly because I do not treat of such subject matters lightly, as saying "oh yeah, um, it's kind of, sort of like that thing ... yeah, that sounds cool." In the system of sacrifice laid down in the Old Testament for sacrifices in the Temple, the holocaust was a particular type of sacrifice in which the whole animal was burnt up. Other sacrifices involved portions of the animal left to provide for the priests and their families to eat, as their way of "making a living," but in a holocaust sacrifice the whole animal was consumed by the fire. I just wanted to be entirely clear on what I was referring to there.)

Barbosa and Swan
On either side of Jack and Norrington you have Barbosa and Governor Swan. I have already parenthetically gone over Barbosa above and will go over him more in post 2, but here I'll just say that one should notice what a consummate legalist he is in movie 1. Now, as for Swan and my accusations - I already noted his "trigger-happy" institutionalism. But I also think he suggests some of the dirtiest piracy of all in movie 1 (I should note here that, just as Barbosa seems reformable by the end of movie 2, I think Swan is ) In a way he may be largely innocent on the subjective level, he may be simply the product of bad upbringing etc, but on the objective level what he, I think, very subtly hints as possible is pretty bad. He says to Norrington, when Jack disappears over the wall at the end, that "if maybe even piracy can be the right choice sometimes." What I'm about to say is very tenuous (hey, I openly said I think it is subtle :) ) - but I think he is not so much actively suggesting that Norrington do this as he is subtly raising it, between the lines, as a possibility to consider - that Norrington perform an act of piracy on true love. Elizabeth obviously loves Will, BUT by the terms of agreement and all (ie, "legally") she did promise to marry Norrington in exchange for going to the Isla de Muerta ... he could hold her to that. But Norrington doesn't, he respects her wishes and her heart (and that's where I get my distinction between Norrington as actual concrete institution and Governor Swan as institutional mentality, with the former being in the better place, at least in the structure of the movie).

The Damned: Jones and Becket
Now, for "Dead Man's Chest - here we come to "the damned," the two who will be, I think, in the structure of the trilogy, completely beyond redemption: Davey Jones (on the mythic side) and Lord Cutler Becket (on the side of ruthless materialism ... "I'm afraid currency is the currency of the realm"). Notice that Becket IS the East India Trading CO (as revealed in Governor Swan's "selling his soul" dialogue with Becket "your loyalty to the EIC" - "You mean to you." "You see Mercer, every man has his price he is willing to accept ... even for what he hoped never to sell"). Becket "wheels and deals" with Will, Elizabeth and then Governor Swan. Notice the whole tone of Davey Jones and his ship ... bargain gambling for years of service; bargaining with Jack over the number of souls and - and we know that he doesn't only offer only his 1 standard bargain (a simple postponing of death for 100 years of service) - he did some sort of deal with Jack for raising the Pearl from the depths and 13 years as her captain.

Jones and Becket are the new pairing added in Dead Man's Chest, at the extremes of mythic evil and materialistic greed. I think that this will tie in with a theme of "globalization" in World's End, in some symbol of the global economy, or some perversion of it, as the backbone or maybe the goal of globalization (basically what Becket speaks of in terms of the "map" motif ... "The blank edges of the map are being filled in" versus Barbosa's Movie 1 line "you're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters!"- which at least had some idea of there being things in the world that are bigger than human mercantilism).

Triangulation

This is more of a sort of post-script. But I had it in on last nights post and it fits better here. I talked above about Jack and Norrington being on either side of Will in Movie 1 (with E. forming a single unit with Will in the middle - so basically 3 elements) - and in movie one they found some balance. But I think one of the progressions of the trilogy will be that that balance was tenuous, it needed some further foundation to be sure and stable (such as there may be in Jack facing said beastie-o-death on his feet) - and that may be why, where in movie one you had that temporary stabilization, in Movie two you have a three way sword fight.

And with that I'll just end this post by saying two things about the 3 way swordfight.

1. I didn't think Verbinski was going to be able to improve on his "swashbuckling" choreography from movie 1, it was just too good. But then he went and did it - the three-way fight and the whole water-wheel thing quite simply rocked as a roller-coaster ride of choreography - most fun to watch in years.

2. A lot of times you have either "pure fun" (ie "amusing" as "anti-muse" or anti thought-provoking) OR a forced symbolism that gets in the way of fun. Verbinski managed, I think, to push even further in this movie, especially in the 3-way sword-fight, into the realm of something that is both, not either or. It is "entertainment" that also gives rise to "entertaining" thoughts and questions about what is going on with the symbolism. Sometimes in movies you get both together, but even then they usually only kind of more exist side by side (ie the symbolism simply doesn't inhibit the fun) - this is one of the few places, I think (and this is just my feeling - I would not be able to "prove" it right now) where you have both and have them so organically connected ... it just felt so "all of a piece" .
posted by Merlin at 10:26 PM


Comments on "Dead Man's Chest Post 1: Broadening the Scope"

 

Blogger Sumara said ... (July 21, 2006 1:48 AM) : 

Who you callin' crazy as a loon??? LOL

I just finished watching movie 1, as prompted by my checking of that quote from your last comment, and htought I'd check to see if you'd done your pirates post in the time I watched the movie. Of course you had! Yay for Merlin! Yay for the jar of dirt! (speaking of the jar of dirt.... when Tia gave to to Captain Jack I was expecting it to become more important than it did - I was thinking he'd be able to use it against Davey Jones somehow but from what I remember all he did was use it to hide the heart breifly... what was the deal with the dirt do you think? Tia implied it had some greater use.)

Anyway...

Firstly I totally agree with you about the films being both "fun" and "symbolic" at the same time. I think Depp's fun interpretation of Sparrow's character has as much to do with that as the writing and directing.
I also loved the three-way fight, partly because I couldn't decide who I wanted to win. :)

The compass (which, as you say, doesn't "work" and yet does it's job perfectly and leasds people on exactly the journey they're after) strikes me as really meaningful and a vital part of who Sparrow is. I feel like Sparrow lives on this higher realm or something where only he knows that somehting doens't have to be "fact" to be "true".
(Just realised you used the term higher realm too... great minds and all that. :) )

The compass really gets me because of the way it "reacts" (for want of a better word) to Elizabeth. SHe is convinced that she is inlove with Will and wants nothing but to save him, and yet the compass reveals otherwise when it starts stubbornly pointing towards Jack. Elizabeth would like to think that she would never dream of running off with a pirate... and yet a big part of her yearns for that adventure and freedom that she and Jack talk about on the beach in movie 1.

And I guess that's the same conflict Will faces that you talk about - knowing that the "institutional" life they'vw grown up with is not the be-all and end-all, but that complete freedom is not the way to go either - there's a need to find a balance in the middle of the two.

I think I'm just using different sentences to say what you've already said. ?

Regarding the hats - something that struck me today was that before Elizabeth kisses Will at the end of movie 1, she very purposely removes his big fancy aristocracy-looking hat and says "no... he's a pirate".Of course that might just be because it's easier to kiss someone without a big feather hanging in your faces, but it might just be a bit more important than that. :)

On Governor Swan as the institutional mentality... I think it's important that the leaders adn rule-makers of institutional society think they need the control they crave in order to keep themselves and others safe. And Swan spends most of his tiome trying to keep Elizabeth safe - even when it's not what she actually wants. I think he tells the men to shoot Jack after eh saves her because he can just sense the lawlessness (because it's so opposed to hiw oen character) and all he sees is some bloke who's ripped off his daughters dress and corset. He's bene brought up, as you allude to, with a very narrow worldview which says "he only way to keep safe is to strictly follow the rules" so he literally wouldn't be able to think of any other way to deal with Jack.
I think you're right, though, that Swan is reform-able, because there is a certain depth to his character, occasionally revealing a genuine concern for Elizabeth's desires as well as her plain old safety.

I like your explanation of Swan's "act of piracy" line at the end of movie 1 - because evry time I've watched it, my only reaction to that line has been "what the???" I'm not entirely convinced you're right but I like it. Makes more sense than "what the?" anyway. :)

Overall my favourite image is that of Captain Jack (the drunk, flighty, seemingly unstable one) as the central "rock" as it were with the unique task of ensuring stability and strength among the conflict.

Right, after that ramble, I really really need to tidy up my house that I've been neglecting all day and make some dinner for my poor starving children... :)

 

Blogger Sumara said ... (July 21, 2006 2:13 AM) : 

I just realised I didn't finish a thought...

Elizabeth's struggle with the compass (wanting it to point to the way to save Will when it stubbornly points to Jack) really strikes me because it feels very personal to me. I know the feeling of knowing you should want one thing (and you do want it, in one way), but really longing in a different way for something you probably shouldn't want. (or at least not want *the most*)

I REALLY relate to Elizabeth's yearning for the freedom and un-conventionality of life at sea with a pirate. I have the same longings in many ways. So yeah, I love Elizabeth and Jack for that reason(along with many others).

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 21, 2006 2:00 PM) : 

I totally agree about Depp's acting. I think he's THE actor out there right now (Now that Gibson has sort of gone into retirement or seems to be focussing on the other side of camera now).

I think a couple of things collide in him that a lot of regular "movie-goers" don't realize as important, simply because for a while we have had a sort of tyranny of drama, sort of an underlying assumption from the "artistic ones" that, "fun movies are fine, but they'r not serious art in the way our dark dramas are." Of course, Depp has proven himself there too if you watch a movie like "Donnie Brasco"

But the thing I love in Pirates is the way there's so much symbolism carried all the way down even to the basic physical dimension because Deep is such a good physical actor. A lot of that got started in the movie "Benny and June" in the 80s, where he did the whole Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin routine. And I got such a kick out of it in the extras on the DVD for Pirates 1 when I realized from some of the stuff that it must still be very present in Depp's mind, how important the physical acting of the Keaton/Chaplin style is ... because other stuff from Benny and June made it through to Pirates.
I laughed so hard at the deleted scene of the extended improv on the French, the whole thing was hilarious ... but especially the line about raisins being humiliated grapes - that was Mary Stuart Masterson's line in Benny and June when they're in the diner and she is picking the raisins off of something.

I think a lot of times it is over looked how important physical acting is. I was watching the extras recently on "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" and Laura Tinney (the Erin Brunner character) was actually the one who got them to look at Jennifer Carpenter for the Emily Rose part. She and Carpenter had been working in a Broadway stage production together recently (I think with Liam Neeson) and she realized how good of a physical actor Carpenter is, and she knew from the script that the Emily Rose moive could be done as a seriously well done piece, or it could be done as b-grade horror or wind up looking kind of silly, and that having it be credible meant having an actress for the Emily part who was good physically, who had a command of her body and physical presence. I think actors Like Tinney and Carpenter and Depp are bringing that out a lot more these days.

Oh yeah, before I go ... primarily meant myself being crazy as a loon (the kind rhetorical "you") ... but if you wish to put yourself in there with us nutters in that category, there's plenty of room :)

 

Blogger Sumara said ... (July 21, 2006 7:14 PM) : 

Yes! That's it. I hadn't put my finger on it but you're right, it's the physical acting. I think wat happens for a lot of actors is that they're trained in theatre and then when they move to screen they are either assume or are told that you don't need to be as physical - that everything needs to be smaller or more subtle than in the theatre, which is usually true, but then there's the potential to get caught up in the emotions and facial expressions and to forget about the rest of the body and the real scope of movement and dynamic physicality that every human inherently has. (some way more than others obviously).

On Depp and acting in "artistic" movies versus "fun" movies - I read an interview with him recently - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13391041/site/newsweek/ - where he talks about that a bit. There was much questioning, when Depp accepted Pirates and it became so huge, whether he had "sold out" after years of refusing to become a "movie star" - but he says that never even concerned him with the Pirates films, and I think that says a lot about the films. Depp is a very discerning actor and he obviously saw before the rest of us that Pirates was something more than your average blockbuster.

You've mentioned that "parlez" improv before, I like it too. Does your DVD of it have the Depp/Verbinski commentary of the film? I found that really interesting, they talk abotu times during shooting where lines were added in and changed - Depp was apprently a bit obsessed with the idea of Will being a eunuch (sp?) and during shooting he kept adding in lines about "beautiful singing voice" (like the one where he tried to tell Barbosa that will is his third cousin or whatever) and "snip snip". The writers loved some of Depp's ideas so much that they actually did change the written script. Anyway my point is that yes, Depp is a beautiful improvisational actor.

Another thing I was thinking a lot about last night - I said in my last comment that I liked your idea of Swan's "piracy" comment being about suggesting thet Norrington "pirate" Will's love for Elizabeth - but I've decided I disagree. Remember back on the Dauntless, in the bay at Isle de Muerte, Swan is talking to Elizabeth through the door about her acceptance of Norrington's proposal and he says " you made a good decision. But even a good decision made for the wrong reasons can be a wrong decision". I think he really does care, as father, for Elizabeth's happiness and realises she wouldn't be happy with Norrington. I don't think he actually wants her to marry Norrington - he knows it would be a "good match" and therefore would support it, but he is happier with the idea of E being happy with Will.

Or maybe that's just me being romantic. LOL And I still don't have any other explanation for the piracy line.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 21, 2006 9:09 PM) : 

Ahhh, yes, the line on the dauntless (where, btw, Elizabthe is shifting roles, having been put into men's clothing, and it is thus that she fights the pirates in the heart of the island.

I would say that G. Swan is fickle, and that is not all bad ... it means he has potential for the good, he is not damned or set in stone as Jones and Cutler are. as a human character in a story is is symbolic, I think, of something like the institutionaly mentality ("loyalty as the currency of the realm, seekinng the kings protection only to be thwarted by Becket and Mercer). Jones, ir oder to be so ironclad to what he symbolizes muast be "non-human" (squid head and crab arm and all of that) ... to me the darkest villian in the whole thing thus far is Becket - because he is human ... and his treachery is so subtle, so calculating, so cold, ye so seeming human ... very dark character I think - as ironclad to his extreme materialism as JOnes is to his dark mythical death-deals ... but in such human clothing.

And I really liked hearing the stuff on Depp, I'll have to check out that interview because I agree that he is a very discerning actor.
I especially loved hearing that the eunich lines were his own contribution. My copy of the DVD does indeed have the commentary but I haven't gotten around to listening to it ... my friend Dominic has though, and that has yielded some confirmation on a couple of levels. I had put forth the idea that the dark-skinned she-pirate in Movie 1 is a version of the Black Pearl. That just as Will gets the girl and Jack the ship (remembering that ships are always female ... Jack tries to protect the Pearl's puirity as his woman, "Stop blowing holes in my ship!") ... there is a latent instance of Jack's getting the ship, being made whole etc, in Anna Maria. It is she who puts the cloak on his shoulders and says "the Black Pearl is yours, Captain" ("mantles" on shoulders being a very primary form/image of investiture, of course - and I love your comment on E. taking off the aristocratic hat - the she-pirate's relationship with Jack is the that which re-vests him as captain just as Elizabeth de-vests Will of his aristocratically acceptable hat [she needs him to be a pirate, or at least to have a free-spirit], and I think in movie three she will vest him as he who is both honorable and free spirited)
Well, Dom watched with the commentary on and said that at the end when Anna Marie puts the cloak on him they talked about what I was just talking about but said they hadn't thought of that at the time but they see now it is true ... ie, they accept the validity of that interpretation. This was sort of vindication because on some theories I get sort of referred to as being an eisogete ("reading into" rather than exegesis, "drawing out of") and extreme reader response critic (one of the "official" post-modern schools of literary criticism) - but in truth I am mostly a "new-critical" (another "official" school of the same), whose cry is "don't commit the fallacy of authorial intent" - don't think that the author's conscious intention at the time of writing/filming necessarily defines a work - it is important (which is just to say that extreme reader response would be inaccurat) but the literary tradition within which the author operates and has been brougfhtup in can be operating on larger levels subconsciously for them. And it would seem GV agrees, at leasty somewhat.

(For Further evidence of the subtle role of Anna Maria, not Jack's obsession with precise nautical language, "we're going to commandeer that ship ... it's a nautical term" and when he is with the 2 English soldiers he corrects himself from "boat" to "ship." BUT the one place he suffers the term baot without saying a word is when she says it. Then Gibbs says it's terrible bad luck and Jack says it would be worse not to have her aboard ... when he says that he is looking somehwere off to the left and up, and Gibbs and Will both look up there as Jack walks away, like "what the heck was he looking at?" - which is a sort of, I think, staging tip-off that his comments here are "from a different perspective" or based on "unseen realities" kind of thing - I don't think you would find it expressed in the "spiritual" language by artists, but same basic jist ... I think)

And the Eunich stuff is so great, because the first movie is about Will's search to become a man, to find his place in the world as a mane so that Elizabeth can find her place with him so that he can be complete as a man (the whole father-quest that gets picked up in this movie is a part of that ... "there are only a few things that matter in this world - what a man can do and what a man can't do ... you can either accept that your father was a good man AND a pirat, or you can't" in movie one becomes "I won't abandon you" (ie "like you abandoned me, but I fogive you")

Actors can input a lot. I was listening to the directors commentary on Fight Club and the Tyler tells the Asian shop-clerk, Raymond K Hessel, to "Run Forest Run!" thatwas not in the script. In fact Pitt and Norton were arguing in the commentary reel about which of them came up with the idea ... each crediting the other. But it is a great thematic line ... I think that that movie presents a problem particular to the 20-something single white American Male that feels the need to go through this brutality just in order to feel anything because of the desensitization in that cultural setting (To quote one of the big prophets of cynical music, Trent Reznor of Nine-Inch-Nail, "I Hurt myself today, to see if I still feel") - but not everyone has to go through this, there are groups of people who are able to live with simple goodness and enjoy the simple beauty of life, who, like Forest Gump, can say "I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is" - but sometimes they are hampered by "the system" and so thatif what Tyler comes to see as his "mission" - the members of Operation Mayhem are "off the grid," it's not them who need the credit card companies gone ... it's the Raymond K Hessel's, the question is asked "is Mr Durden building an army" and I think the answer is " he see himself as building a priesthood" - "priests" when you look at the concept across all ancient cultures, are defined by their "sacred service" ("litourgia" or ... liturgy - in the end though Tyler takes this to a maniacal extreme and Ed Norton's "Jack" has to kill him to find balance.
But, all that to say that, I was a little heartened at actors coming up with stuff like that on impulse that connects with the underlying themese so well ... and found it really cool info that the Eunich lines were Depp's contribution.

There is a lot there and I plan to get that other post written soon ... for here I will just throw out a teaser of it: the common ground and the difference between the statements "Why fight when you can negotiate?" and "Hello Beastie"

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 21, 2006 9:11 PM) : 

ahhh ... meant to say about Swan that he IS symbolic, but his symblism also rests in his human figure, thus redeemable or able to be drawn to a better mor honorable path ... Cutler's subtle deviousness is his human appearance ... at least you know from first sight where Jones is coming from :)

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 22, 2006 4:58 PM) : 

Did I also mention that I am a huge fan of the recent King Kong Movie? the first nightI saw it I had the rouch structure and main imagery elements done in my mind bythe time it was done. I got the outline and the instances out into a Word Document taht weekend but have not gotten any further on it, alas.

But the reason I mention it here is that I loved the type of the hat to physical comedy acting in vaudeville ... when that is the way that Naomi Watt's character breaks through to Kong, it is the human link.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 22, 2006 4:59 PM) : 

sorry ... "TIP of the hat"

 

Blogger Sumara said ... (July 22, 2006 7:18 PM) : 

"the common ground and the difference between the statements "Why fight when you can negotiate?" and "Hello Beastie" "

I don't know where you're going ... but.... obviously Captain Jack isn't going to defeat the Beastie by simple fighting, Beatie eould simply eat him up at spit him out at Davey Jones forever. So he must beat him with at least some kind of "negotiation" - Captain Jack Sparrow wouldn't be Captain Jack Sparrow if he didn't negotiate his way out of something. :)

I'm going to try today to listen to movie with the writers' commentary and see what, if anything, they have to say about all this symbolism. Unfortuantely I haven't been able to see DMC again yet so I'm just going to keep watching CotBP. :) Until my husband gets sick of it and sends me off to see DMC. ;)

 

Blogger Sumara said ... (July 22, 2006 11:04 PM) : 

I just watched and listened to the commentary with the writers (Screenplay writers Ted Elliot, Terry someone and two other story-writers).
I felt like I needed a notebook to take nots to remember all the important things they said. They tied together so many different parts fo the film, it was really really interesting. They also gave away a few sneaky hints about "a sequel" regarding the Back Pearl maybe being a supernatural ship in itself... that wouldn't be understood by listeners when they said it because nothing was known about a sequel and I think even to them it was a fairly remote possibility.

Anyway I won't relay all the things they talk about cos I'd be here all day - you'll just have to listen to it yourself. :)

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 23, 2006 2:13 AM) : 

Oh, rest assured, with that I will be watching it with the commentary very soon.

I just finished the second post on PotC and have it in draft in BLogger, but it will have to wait till tomorrow to actually post - in a quick glance over I noticed numerous typoes and words left out that I want to fix ... no re-writing, just small words left out and stuff like that ... should be a prety quick run through.

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 23, 2006 2:14 AM) : 

I saved a word doc version too ... just in case :)

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!