Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Good or Bad Symbolism Debate
M. Night Rumor
Muggle Matters' Merlin going to Lumos 2006!
Oho! "Muggle Magic" and Gumshoe's excellent theory
Symbols Revisited
Saint Mungo
Snape Revisited
Draco Malfoy
Goblet of Fire Mistakes
Book ban appeal


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

What happens in Vegas won't stay in Vegas...

...meaning what happens at Lumos 2006 will be blogged about here at Muggle Matters by the great Merlinus Ambrettus himself. Just checked the Lumos clock -- only about a week left! Our readers should check over the site and leave comments about anything you might be curious about so our intrepid Merlin can investigate.
posted by Pauli at 8:48 AM


Comments on "What happens in Vegas won't stay in Vegas..."

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 19, 2006 8:50 PM) : 

Aye, I have been mentally preparing myself for to brave the wierd and dangerous waters - or I guess sands would be more apporopriate - at Spinner's end.
I am looking forward to it, should be some good talks and events to blog about.

Personally, being as Pauli and I spent 3 years playing in a band togther ourselves, I am very interested to hear what Harry and the Potters and Draco and the Malfoys sound like. But I also look forward to seeing wizard chess being played for real.

And of course there will be as detailed as I can provide synopses of the keynote talks, which I am really looking forward to - and to seeing what other talks and workshops/discussions are going on - so I will do my best to hvae soem interesting tales and material.My quick quotes quill will be blazing and my wand tucked in my belt at the ready ... just in case I get myself into any trouble

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (July 20, 2006 6:30 AM) : 

i'll just be lapping it all up, whatever you tell us about!

have fun you scurvy dog.. oops wrong fandom huh?
no, that's right, pauli said it's ok......

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 20, 2006 2:03 PM) : 

I've decided on my costume:
What I consider to be the real gown for my MA is the one that was my Dad's. As the one in the family who has gone into graduate studies I got his gown and hood (Dad's Masters was in Math) ... and his Master's gown is from a time when they put a bit more style and substance into an MA gown, I think it meant a little more back then (generally, these days in the USA it seems like the BA means what the highschool diplomae used to and the MA what the BA used to ... the only gowns they make any more with any real substance are the PHD gowns)
Anyway, I am decidedly NOT taking my father's gown to vegas (or his hood, or my hood) ... but I do have a flimsier MA gown (closed sleeve ends at whatever length it is for the MA these days - flimsy is better in this case though, given the vegas heat) that came with my own MA hood. So I am going to wear that as my robes.

Then I have a leather fedora . not flimsy leather, it has the good stiffness of a decent fedora but the leather is done in a patchwork style, so it has kind of classy "patched up" look.

Then at a store I found a big honking hoop earring that is two thicker hoops, one silverish and one goldish (for the price, which is all I would have paid, they can't be real silver and gold - but it's for one of my first posts on "Silver and Gold: Metal and Meaning in Harry Potter" - you casn see the thing in the new pic I put up on my profile)

So ... I am going as a sort of mix of Lupin ("patched up" clothing, and the fedora style hat is definitely from the style/era that Lupin is from, which I thought hey did really well in the third movie, the patched sleeves and the 30s/40 record player with the swing jazz and all), a Pirate ... and my academic self. Maybe I'll throw in a bit of Gandalf by taking my longstem pipe out too.

When I go out to Pauli's and Lissa's to catch my flight from there, I'll get dressed up and have Pauli take a pic and put it up and you all can rate it. :)

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!