Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

What happens in Vegas won't stay in Vegas...
Good or Bad Symbolism Debate
M. Night Rumor
Muggle Matters' Merlin going to Lumos 2006!
Oho! "Muggle Magic" and Gumshoe's excellent theory
Symbols Revisited
Saint Mungo
Snape Revisited
Draco Malfoy
Goblet of Fire Mistakes


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Crestfallen and Frustrated

Last night I wrote the post on Pirates ... to quote the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy on space "It was big ... I mean it was really big ... seriously, you wouldn't have believed how incredibly big it was." I'll admit, it was a bit cumbersome, not exactly what you would call "tight" - but decently organized for the siza, had sub-headings breaking things down somwhat into a major structurefor digestability. But it was packed with lots of interesting stuff and tidbits along the way.

And then ... it was not so big - in fact it was not there at all. Due to an error on my part the text vanished before I could hit the publish button. In fact I was in the midst of trying to avoid such disappearances from technical complications - I was selecting the text to copy into a word document in case it got dumped in the publish process ... and then it was gone. It would have been bad enough having to repaste it into blogger from Word because I have never gotten around to getting the blogger for Word plugin and would have hade to go in and replace all of the quotation marks and other things that tanslate goofy without the plugin ... but, I guess now I don't even have to worry about that (I walked around the room for five minutes saying, "where's that monkey? I need to shoot something!").

Anyway, I greatly apologize Sumara ... I'm going to write another version here in the next day or two. Most likely it will not be as chocked full and packed but that may make for a little less cumbersome read.

I sympathize greatly with Harry in book 5 when Snape vanishes the contents of his cauldron using "evanesco."
posted by Merlin at 1:29 PM


Comments on "Crestfallen and Frustrated"

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (July 20, 2006 2:53 PM) : 

Been there done that. Sadly it's a more common occurence than many realize w/ Blogger. Some time ago I began doing a quick CRTL-A / CTRL-C before posting so I have the whole thing saved, but I usually throw it into Word first anyway since Blogger's spell-checker is so stinky. So that's kind of my "ace-in-the-hole" against sending a post down to the proverbial "Davey Jones Locker" of the internet.

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (July 20, 2006 5:22 PM) : 

yeh, that's happened to me too.

you have my sympathies.
rats. i wanted to read it too!

jo

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 20, 2006 6:05 PM) : 

So, in windows operating on top of blogger "ctrl-a" does a select all?
see that was the key I needed. I used to have it in my head to watch out for that same thing happening as happened last night, but for the past month I have been working in Word so heavily on this silly encyclopedia project, and taht doesn't happen there (basically "that" is I put the cursor at the bottom of the text I had typed and then had shift and the up arrow pressed ... in word it will just keep going and then stop... not make the text go bye bye - in Word I usually do alt-E [to the edit menu] and then L [sellect all] and then ctrl-c, but that is a menu specific path to Word so I just did the old thing with shft-arrow key ... and it was good bye

don't worry Jo, most of it will be up again soon and what I remember later will probably go into comments

 

Blogger Sumara said ... (July 20, 2006 6:31 PM) : 

Oh no! How amazingly frustrating!
...
Bloody pirates!!!
...

I'll be keeping a weather eye out for it. ;-)
(I've been saying that about everything lately, my husband thinks I'm nuts) (which I probably am)


On another note; I started reading HP and the Philosopher's Stone. :-) I've only read a few pages but I'm sure I'll catch up with you all in no time! LOL.

 

Blogger Sumara said ... (July 20, 2006 7:00 PM) : 

Oh, and I thought you might like this blogger's post on Pirates... (sorry I don't know how to link in a comment)

http://www.hereisnowhy.com/blog/2006/07/pirates-of-caribbean-dead-mans-chest.html

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 20, 2006 9:57 PM) : 

I'll have to read the post on Pirates after I do the two posts I have planned tonight after watching the movie again (uncovered somore more booty ... which allows me to split out the posts mor, since some of the stuff I tossed in that made the first run so cumbersome, fits under this new discovery much better) - I'll leave the math to you all as to how many times that is, I won't embarass myself by actually stating the number :)

I was joking with my our friend Nate today about the lost post - he said "maybe it was a sign" and I said thought it was, that I had written taht one too much "under the influence" - although the rum in this case would be the soudntrack which I bought on Sunday and have been constantly consuming ever since. I have the first three tracks thoroughly stuck in my head: Jack Sparrow, The Kraken and Davey Jones. Jone's theme is just so haunting and kicks in so hard when it goes to the full organ, orchestra and choral. And the I realized tonight that the organ part that the Kraken piece crescendoes into is used for the beasties final kill, particularly of the ship which will is on (and I still shudder at Jones' speech when they call the Kraken: "Let no joyful sound be heard, let no man look to the sky with hope, and let this day be cursed by we who awaken ... the Kraken"). Anyway, I joked to Nate that God had to curb me some because with that blasting on the stereo as I typed that essay I probably looked a bit too much like Jones playing the organ with his beard-icles.

But I originally just hopped onto this thread to mention one thing in regards to your husband thinking you are crazy (I am going down to set up my own computer in the basement and compose my two POTC posts on it while I burn some copies of a DVD Paul's dad made from a camcorder tape of my Dad and his brothers singing together at an amateur competition society's stage/venue last October in Colorado"
as far as being nuts, from movie 1 when Will and and Jack are under the water with the boat upside down, walking the bay bottom to the Dauntless to pretend to steal it as a ruse actually to get the Interceptor (well this is a paraphrase from memory ... basic jist):

Will: "Your either a genius or completely mad!"

Jack: "It's amazing how often those two threats coincide."

 

Blogger Sumara said ... (July 20, 2006 11:23 PM) : 

Oh yes! I love that line! I'm going to turn on the DVD now and check the actual words.... (you'd think, having watched the movie four times in a week, I'd remember but I can't resist checking!)

Will: "this is either madness, or brilliance"

Jack: "it's remarkable how often those two traits coincide"

And thank you, I'd think to think I'm brilliant rather than mad! :-)

Oh please do state how many times you've seen DMC! If I had more money and no kids to organise I'd have seen it about 5 times by now. As it is I'm seeing it for only the 2nd time, this weekend. And planned again next week with a friend. :)

 

Blogger Sumara said ... (July 20, 2006 11:25 PM) : 

I listened to it a few times and you may be right with Jack saying "threats" Sounded at first like "traits" to me but he slurs that line particularly well so it could be either. :)

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (July 22, 2006 1:57 AM) : 

went to the video shop today to hire number 1 pirates and there were none there. *is sulking*
i got out narnia instead, cos i heard the outtakes are really funny.

woohoot for sumara reading harry. i hope you fall in love with him.
but i will still talk to you if you don't...

jo

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 22, 2006 8:19 PM) : 

Ahhh, very excellent choreography on Tilda Swinton's two-sword fighting - fits her body-style very well, sweeping but powerful moves and coordinations - much better than the "hopped up on speed" pyro-technics of the Star Wars Prequels (but I think I may have said that on this blog before ... It's like Dejavu all over again :) - funny thing, how often that happens for me, heh heh, ... um *making a quick Sparrow exit stage left/right*)

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!