Muggle Matters Home
About our site
Make Site Suggestions
Narrative defined (Merlin)
Silver & Gold (Merlin)
Elendil's Sword (Pauli)
"X" Marks/Chiasm (Merlin)
Literary Approaches (Merlin)

Travis Prinzi




Amazon Honor System Click Here to Pay Learn More

We hope you enjoy reading our Harry Potter discussion weblog. Please feel free to leave a comment and return often for more discussion.



 
 
View blog reactions
Add to Google
Add this blog to my Technorati Favorites!

Lumos 2006 Class Notes - Saturday - # 2
Lumos 2006 Class Notes - Saturday - # 1
Busted at Lumos 2006!
More Lumos Pictures and Morning Report
Lumos 2006 Class Notes - Friday
Can you see Merlin now?
A Picture is Worth A Thousand Words: John Granger ...
Pictures and Fun Stuff From the Night Before "Clas...
Lumos
Study Finds HP Has Positive Impact on Kids School ...


----------------------------------------------------------------------- -->

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare
And full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff.
So teach us stuff worth knowing,
Bring back what we forgot,
Just do your best
We'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot!



1: The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3: There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4: Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5: Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6: His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
7: The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8: The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9: The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10: More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11: Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
12: Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13: Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
14: Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Oh, no, I've been TAGGED!

New dad Travis tagged Merlin and I to answer a bunch of questions about books. So...

1. One book that changed your life:
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis

This book made me realize that I could lose my soul and go to hell. If I hadn't read it, I might be there right now. Seriously.

2. One book that you've read more than once:
The Everlasting Man by G. K. Chesterton

This book blew me away a decade ago and more recently about a year ago. It's not the easiest read, but don't give up on it. Just take small bites.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

The Deep Thoughts would go good with the sound of the waves crashing, I think, and it might make me laugh as I meditated on my plight and talked to Wilson.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Groucho and Me by Groucho Marx

The famed funny man's auto-biography.

5. One book that made you cry:
Right Turns by Michael Medved

During the part with his ancestors and relatives dying in their attempts to come over to America. Oy, was I bawling.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
How to Stop What Will Happen on 9/11/2001 by Whoever

7. One book you wish had never been written:
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Fred Engels

I'm sure there are lots that could be placed here -- that was just the first that came to mind. Probably because of Groucho above, no relation.

8. One book you're currently reading:
The Grail Code by Mike Aquilina and Christopher Bailey

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
Spirit of the Liturgy by Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI)

Sitting in my shelf, collecting dust while I blog about Harry Potter.

10. Now I'm supposed to "tag" people. Uhhhh.....this is like duck-duck-goose, right?

Whitney
John (Cubeland Mystic)
Felicity
Mr. Barlow
JKR2

Thanks, Travis, that was actually fun.
posted by Pauli at 10:15 PM


Comments on "Oh, no, I've been TAGGED!"

 

Blogger Merlin said ... (July 31, 2006 11:26 PM) : 

Am I in on the tag too? I'll have to think of the best answers and do it up (shouldn't be that hard, spending the next day or two packing up my books for the move), and then I'll have to figure out who to tag .. .Pauli already got all the goodies LOL)

 

Blogger Cubeland Mystic said ... (August 01, 2006 10:46 AM) : 

1. One book that changed your life:
The Lord of the Rings (all the works).

2. One book that you've read more than once:
LOTR

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross

4. One book that made you laugh:
Stumped me, I'll have to write one.

5. One book that made you cry:
One Poem, Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot for it sacred sublime beauty.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
The books that I wish had been written I am currently writing.

7. One book you wish had never been written:
Naked Lunch

8. One book you're currently reading:
Welcome to Carmel. (discernment text for 3rd order Carmelites)

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
Seven Story Mountain (Merton), Assent of Mt. Carmel (St. John)

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (August 01, 2006 4:20 PM) : 

Mystic, good one with "Naked Lunch". Supposedly even Burroughs realized it was crap and the 'script was "rescued" from a hotel in Morroco by Ginsberg and some other beats....

Dude, you need to read something funny!!

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (August 01, 2006 6:30 PM) : 

oh my goodness! i've actually been 'tagged'. first time ever.
will put in some thought and post over at my blog.

(i think i'm actually nervous....)

jo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 02, 2006 12:05 AM) : 

Well, I've never been tagged before, but then I didn't have a website until a few weeks ago. You asked for it:

1. One book that changed your life:
Not really “a” book, but The Rambler essays by Samuel Johnson because I read them at a time when I thought religion was for fools, and Johnson caught me off guard and changed my mind.

2. One book that you've read more than once:
Don Quixote de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
A Catholic Study Bible by God

4. One book that made you laugh:
Morte D’Urban by J. F. Powers

5. One book that made you cry:
Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt

6. One book that you wish had been written:
A seventh century AD book written in Arabic that defines Jesus Christ as God incarnate

7. One book you wish had never been written:
A seventh century AD book written in Arabic that defines Jesus Christ as a prophet

8. One book you're currently reading:
The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, 1400-1580 by Eamon Duffy

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
Mr. Blue by Myles Connolly

 

Blogger jkr2 said ... (August 02, 2006 2:31 AM) : 

well i 'done it'...
it's over at my blog.

 

Blogger Pauli said ... (August 02, 2006 8:30 AM) : 

Felicity, wow, great list. Dittoes on "Mr. Blue" and "Angela's Ashes" - oy, that's rough. Here's to Sam Johnson catchin' you off guard!

I guess I should have tossed out the Bible as a selection -- someone else did further up the chain, but hey, works for me.

 

Blogger Cubeland Mystic said ... (August 02, 2006 11:35 AM) : 

I am supposed to tag someone and post on my blog? Didn't understand. There are not many monks at the Cubeland Monastary. A lot of them go to the ballet at lunch time.

 

post a comment




Blog Directory & Search engine

Syndicate Muggle Matters (XML feed)
iPing-it!